Natural herbal remedies for cough and cold symptoms
Our range of specific formulas for Coughs, Throat and Sinuses contain a combination of herbs designed to target infection, reduce symptoms and rebalance the body.
Herbal Cough Formula
Ongoing coughs seem to be a frequent problem with the illnesses of today. Many people experience a chronic, annoying cough that drags on, sometimes for weeks.
Sometimes the cough occurs alone, other times it follows a cold or even develops as a residual cough – either dry or chesty – after using antibiotics. This is because the pathogen can become locked into the lung by the medication and is not freely released.
Our Herbal Cough Formula is designed to help people suffering from persistent coughs, both dry and chesty. The combination of herbs acts to gently nourish the dry and tired lung, restoring strength and prompting the lung to overcome its spasms and irritations. The formula also boosts the immune system to help restore health and strength.
Helpful strategies whilst taking the formula:
- Drink plenty of liquids to stay hydrated, including chamomile tea with honey
- Cover your nose and mouth whenever your cough or sneeze
- Wash hands frequently and keep home surfaces, phone and keyboard clean
- Gargle with salt water before bed and elevate your head during the night
Herbal Throat Formula
Often, an oncoming cold is announced by a scratchy throat. This is because when a cold has entered the body, it creates a second layer of infection and inflammation that reaches the throat. Then, we experience a continual sharp pain, a very red throat and possibly aching in the glands. All accompanied by feeling generally ‘under the weather’.
Our Herbal Throat Formula combines herbs that work together to target the heat and soreness in the throat. They also give the immune system a much needed boost to clear the heat that will be occurring internally at this stage.
This approach reflects the ability of herbal medicine to facilitate a natural healing process by creating a balanced internal environment. Energy circulates more freely, strength is boosted and the infection loosens its hold.
Natural strategies to help relieve a sore throat whilst taking the herbs include:
- Sip or gargle with honey and lemon in hot water
- Gargle frequently with salt water
- Drink plenty of liquids, including water and clear chicken or Miso soup
- Rest as much as possible
Herbal Sinus Formula
Chronic sinusitis is a common problem for both adults and children. Anyone who suffers knows the misery of excess catarrh, being unable to breathe freely – especially at night – and aching tenderness in cheekbones and forehead.
Conventional medicine generally offers little relief, as antibiotics are not considered effective and nasal sprays can’t be used for more than a few days.
Our Herbal Sinus Formula targets the accumulation of phlegm gathering in the sinuses, strengthens the stomach and increases the ability for transforming mucus and clearing passages.
This formula could also be used for hayfever symptoms and, if taken longer term, can help prepare for the coming bother of the summer months.
Natural strategies to help relieve sinuses whilst taking the herbs include:
- Breathe steam with towel over head for five minutes at least twice daily
- Rinse the nostrils with tepid boiled salt water, ideally using a Neti pot
- Apply a warm flannel to cheeks and forehead
- Use a natural menthol and eucalyptus inhaler
- Try to calm stress and emotional distress, perhaps through meditation